Past Dancers involved with AN
- Hanya Holm
- Martha Graham
- Doris Humphrey
- Charles Weidman
- Masks, Props, and Mobiles (1953)
- Totem (1960)
- "Count Down" (1979)
He used his productions to show integrated motion, sound, shape, and color.
He found costumes “depersonalizing ” which is interesting because some choreographers use costumes as their biggest prop.
- He began his creative endeavors on the piano and began his performing career as an organist accompanying silent films.
- In 1940 he trained with his first modern dance teacher; Truda Kaschmann.
- He was in the army during World War II.
- In 1948 he became director of the Henry Street Playhouse in New York City.
- In 1951 he form his own dance company called the Nikolais Dance Theater.
- National Endowment of the Arts in Washington D.C. awarded him with the American National Medal of the Arts in 1987.
Past Dancers involved with YR
- Steve Paxton
- David Gordon
- James Waring
- Merce Cunningham
- At My Body’s House (1963)
- Trio A (1966)
- Continuous Project-Altered Daily (1969)
She has a giant list of ‘do-nots’, very interesting seeing no being moved or no eccentricity.
She is seemingly a very cut-throat dancer seeing her list, a perfectionist probably.
- She trained as a modern dancer in 1957 and began to choreograph her own work in 1960.
- She was one of the founders of Judson Dancer Theater in 1962.
- Between 1962 and 1975 she was recognized internationally for her work, notably on Broadway.
- Rainer is a central figure in the American postmodern dance movement .
- In 1972 Rainer wrote and directed her first medium length film, Lives of Performers.
- Since 1974 she has been a professor at the University of California.
Past Dancers involved with JC
- Tony Holder
- Meredith Monk
- Aileen Passloff
- Steve Paxton
- Yvonne Rainer
There are countless techniques, but all was derived from Robert Dunn.
I always have admired groups of people who ban together to reject a concept, I’ve always found rebellion interesting.
Even though they didn’t consider their own work Modern dance, other might classify it as different modern dance.
- Before JDT Modern Dancers struggled to showcase their work.
- Not only was the company comprised of cancer but also untrained visual artists, musicians, poets, and even filmmakers.
- The company gave it’s first performance on July 6, 1962.
- After that JDT dominated over modern dance for 20 years.
- The company was predominantly comprised of women.
- They called their creation postmodern dance, rejecting classic modern.